Sunday, August 28, 2011

The OE is Not My Grandfather's Dictionary


With the latest additions of retweet, sexting and cyberbullying, the Oxford English Dictionary continues to rock its technology roll. Widely recognized as household words, the entries were spurred by the communication modernity of mobile phones and Social Media. If you hadn't noticed, words coined for behaviors once non-existent are speedily seeping into mainstream.  The correlation between usage and validation is simply amazing.     
Back in the day, my grandfather constantly admonished me for my frequent use of “oof” to express displeasure at anything and everything. He’d always say “that’s not a word.” Looking back, the sentiment I expressed was probably more grunt than word, but I doubt that he would’ve fathomed entries like “oof” or “sexting” gracing any dictionary’s page.       

If here today, I’d revel in sharing with him how the word game has drastically changed. I can’t help but ponder what his reaction might have been had he lived to see the landline’s decline in the new communication era. Had he been a contemporary, perhaps he’d relax the traditional English rules long enough to utter ‘OMG.’ Yes, gramps, OMG has also gained acceptance as a word.             
 Read more here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/faster-forward/post/oed-now-includes-retweet-sexting-and-cyberbullying/2011/08/19/gIQAFAXXQJ_blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment