Monday, April 25, 2011

Barkley’s Black Eye on Sports Broadcasting

Before steroid and sex scandals and the overrun of legal infractions, I was a ride or die sports fan. Thanks to my Dad, I’m still basking in the glory of having seen my first and only Super Bowl. But since that particular sports spectacular, the myriad of athletic impurities have altered my pledge of allegiance. Nevertheless, whether NFL, NBA, MLB, WNBA or NCAA, when the championship bells ring, I’m there.
But this isn’t about me; it’s about the pained observations of a former journalist. I was scholastically trained to report the news utilizing a strong command of the English language.  However, whenever there’s a media mockery, I can’t help but cringe.
Having watched the latest NBA playoffs, the hardwood court action has taken a backseat to the color commentary. “Commentainers” like Charles Barkley have suddenly ascended in the commentator ranks. It’s bad enough that the no-ringed retired NBA player slammed New York Knicks Coach Mike D’Antoni’s head on the chomping block based on opinion rather than fact. But when he barked “you better ax somebody,” I’m sure every English teacher who noted his spelling error wanted to howl.
At that moment, Charles’ celebrity nosedived to “celebitty” for his small-minded faux pas. If he can spell D-E-F-E-N-S-E in the T-Mobile ad, certainly he can spell A-S-K correctly. Please spare us the ebonic references, Barkley. Instead of laughing with you, many are laughing at you and frankly, there’s no humor in ignorance.       

7 comments:

  1. You make excellent points. Barkley's always one indefensible statement - think Don Imus and the Rutgers women's basketball team - away from losing his job. "Outrageous" people like him always end up getting fired or leaving by "mutual agreement" because they start believing the hype and step over the proverbial "line.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off of the b-ball court, Barkley remains out of acceptable bounds. If he is right about anything, the statement that he's no role model hits the bullseye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello!! Very interesting discussion glad that I came across such informative post. Keep up the good work friend. Glad to be part of your net community.
    스포츠분석

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! 스포츠티비

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! 안전놀이터

    ReplyDelete
  6. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! 스포츠티비

    ReplyDelete